- Jun 5, 2017
- Posted by: Claire
- Category: For Small Business Owners, Web Content, Web Design
Please be careful when selecting someone to write your website content, because while many say they can help you with your SEO strategy, what they really mean is they can help stuff your website content with keywords. And stupid keywords at that (I will explain that a little later). Stuffing your website content with keywords will just do more harm than good.
Frankly, what you need is a copywriter (many people also call themselves copywriters but they are not really). Real copywriters charge more – much more – than a normal writer, and they can be expensive.Why? Because a good copywriter has marketing and psychological skills as well as writing skills, and that’s what you’re paying for, so that you can get better results for your website.
Using a plain ol’ writer – if they don’t have the right skills – will just be a waste of money.
Check out the homepage of this website:
This owner of this website wanted a writer who could entice people to want to find out more about the services they provide, and to use the online Energy Comparison tool.
Now, copywriting is probably not your core expertise, so you may not understand what’s wrong with this website (which was written by a writer that you don’t want to use!), so let me explain:
- Statistics show that people abandon a website within 8 seconds if they can’t see how the site can help them, so your homepage has about 8 seconds to give the benefits of your service or product. If you were to land on this website, would you be able to know exactly how this site can help you?
- What is an energy price comparison? Energy what? Does this text make you want to click? I didn’t think so.
- The most visible headline is about the company’s mission, but no visitor is going to care about it, so it’s wasting time and space sitting in the best position on the website. It has to go!
- The last text – below the most prominent headline, tries to provide a benefit but fails miserably, because as a visitor, I still don’t know how you can help me.
When you use a good writer for your website content, they will ask you questions, and the first one is to understand your target audience, otherwise the whole project will be a waste of time.
As for SEO strategy, the writer needs to know how to do keyword research, based on your target audience, so that your website contains the right words. Many writers will say they can optimise your content, but if they don’t understand your target audience and don’t know how to do keyword research, their writing will not achieve your purpose to get more customers and more site traffic.
Essentially, you need a writer who has marketing, SEO and psychology skills because for website content writing, all three of these are linked.
Have you had any experience with choosing writers? Let me know below!